Head of Credit Research | Sandton
Our client is looking for an individual to join their company as the Head of Credit Research. Our client provides investors access to a range of specialist funds and investment opportunities in global markets.
- All existing functions performed by the Head of Credit Research. The candidate must take full responsibility for the Credit Research function
- Propose and oversee credit research strategy and framework for the company’s business
- The successful candidate will be required to manage a team of credit analysts and their submissions to the relevant investment committees and report to governance committees within the company’s investments related to Credit risk.
- Management of all credit exposures throughout the company’s portfolios.
- Responsible for assessment of new transactions where Credit risk is undertaken.
- Interaction with relevant Legal Advisor to ensure that Legal agreements are concluded for all transactions where credit risk is taken.
- Management of the company’s Credit Committee and the company’s Credit Governance Committee to ensure smooth running of the committees.
- Chairing of the company's Delegated Credit Committee
- Management of exposure limits, ratings and systems for Credit exposures.
- Work closely with the Risk department and report directly any breaches in terms of concentrations and risk limits
- Attendance, input and interaction at relevant forums, committees etc. related to Credit Risk.
- Ad hoc requests related to credit research function
- Providing key stakeholders with pro-active research insights into trends, market risk appetite, issues, threats, and opportunities in all credit portfolios
- Be proactive in sharing insights across the company’s business and risk cluster in respect of counterparties where Credit exposure is taken.
- Partnering with business clusters to maintain credit losses, profitability and other credit risk exposures
- Work in collaboration with the Head of Credit, to ensure alignment in thinking about credit exposures.
Asset Class Knowledge:
- Provide insight and optimise problem management processes with risk prone investments on the surveillance and watchlist
- Facilitate the understanding for the suitability of instruments for specific portfolios in accordance with their mandates.
- Propose strategies for managing identified risks in credit
- Creation of appropriate credit risk models used for performance monitoring oversight
- Proactively manage credit risk metrics that are identified via risk dashboards and reporting
- Implement a credit limit monitoring system with Risk.
Qualifications & experience:
- A recognised Mcom/MSc Hons degree in finance, investment management and/or mathematics - other qualifications can be considered
- CA(SA), CFA considered favourable
- Minimum 10 years relevant experience in an asset management environment and exposure to credit portfolio risk
- Exposure to credit risk modelling
- Knowledge of factors affecting national and global companies and their impact on investors
- Thorough understanding of the investment process and the risks therein
- Strong people skills needed in order to build trust and confidence within the company’s business
- Prior experience in managing a team of credit analysts and in maintaining a high performing and motivated team
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Must conform to the values of the client and the principles by which the company operates
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy within expected timelines
- Advanced excel skills
Formal behavioural competencies required:
- Analysis And Attention to Detail
- Monitoring and Measuring
- Building Strategic Relationships
- Business Insight and Risk Awareness
- Judgment and Decision making
- Commercial and Financial Acumen
- Influencing and Impact
- Consulting and Advising
- Environmental Scanning (In-depth market knowledge)