Senior Manager: Data Engineering | Gauteng
Join this listed FSP as an Senior Manager: Data Engineering. You will be responsible for leading this company’s enterprise data strategy and data platform. Lead the data engineering function responsible for the unlocking of value from the company’s data assets. Set data strategy, research and implementation of new data tools and processes to drive ROI. Be a data thought leader for the company.
Data and Analytics Strategy:
- Create and execute a long-term strategy for leveraging data and analytics as a key business enabler and competitive differentiator across the business. To be able to research tools to plan, implement and build all business and technical aspects of different data and analytics systems and platforms.
- Take responsibility for developing and delivering a key element of the organisation's data management system.
- Translate data and analytics strategy and vision into data architecture, defining and implementing models, rules, and standards for design and governance.
Design and Conceptualisation:
- Lead a collaborative digital product/service design process by gathering input across all product/service portfolios to define a design system that is viable and scalable, and which strengthens the brand. Lead a cross-portfolio, multidisciplinary team that contributes to the evolution of the system.
- Lead the review of existing operations and the implementation of innovation processes across the division or function to ensure the required continuous improvement outcomes are delivered.
Leadership and Direction:
- Communicate the function's strategy and its relationship to the organisation's mission, vision and values; clarify the actions needed to implement it within the rea of responsibility; motivate people to commit to these and to doing extraordinary things to achieve the organisation's business goals.
- Manage and report on the performance of the function / business area; set appropriate performance objectives for direct reports and hold them accountable for achieving these; take appropriate corrective action where necessary to ensure the achievement of annual business objectives.
- Manage a portfolio of major projects in line with overall project management strategy.
- Identify and manage stakeholders up to top management level, finding out their needs/issues/concerns and reacting to these by leading and coordinating the development of stakeholder engagement plans to support the communication of business information and decisions.
- Makes sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems. For example, sees the systematic elements of issues' the major connections, linkages, and interdependencies. Ensures the organization has reliable ways to gather needed information.
- Anticipates and adopts innovations in business-building digital and technology applications. For example, supports the use of the latest technologies to improve organizational results, making resources available. Stays apprised of technology trends and of how they can make a substantial difference.
- Creates new and better ways for the organization to be successful. For example, allocates resources to build a solid innovation portfolio and take advantage of new opportunities. Fosters a climate that supports and rewards creativity and innovation; removes obstacles to creativity.
- Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments. For example, emphasizes accountability, measures organizational performance against goals, addresses poor team performance, does not accept blaming others or excuses.
- Consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances. For example, urges the organization to focus on the topics that matter to business performance. Eliminates barriers to organizational performance. Provides reinforcement and support to help people overcome obstacles.
- Develops and delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences. For example, ensures a free flow of information throughout the organization. Delivers messages effectively to all levels of the organization; creates forums for people to express themselves openly and regularly.
Builds Effective Teams:
- Builds strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals. For example, builds a leadership team that advances organizational strategies. Enables cross-functional teamwork; builds team spirit across the organization. Models teamwork; partners well with a wide range of leaders.
- Builds partnerships and works collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives. For example, promotes a culture of collaboration across boundaries, where people can express themselves honestly; addresses major barriers to collaboration. Seeks out a broad range of perspectives to address issues.
- Makes good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward. For example, ensures that people internalize policies and standards and accept full responsibility for their decisions. Confidently makes choices in the best interests of the organization, deals constructively with resistance.
- Adapts approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations. For example, is a powerful role model for adaptability; adeptly shifts approach and helps others do the same. Can be both persistent and flexible, as needed. Helps others adapt swiftly to new situations.
- Rebounds from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations. For example, shows appropriate stability and resilience in crises; puts the situation in perspective, helps the organization stay focused; helps the organization move forward. Stays persistent in the face of adversity or obstacles; urges others to adopt a similar approach.
- Operates as a recognised expert to manage projects and monitor applications using enterprise systems and tools. Typically known as a subject matter authority.
- Acts as the organisation's authority and established expert on understanding and using tools in the domain of data engineering.
- Python., Pyspark, Spark, Databricks, SQL, SAS
IT Implementation and integration:
- Applies expertise to act as the organisational authority on implementing, configuring and optimising IT systems and services, while ensuring smooth integration with existing IT infrastructure.
- Acts as the organisational authority and established expert on acquiring, organising, protecting and processing data to fulfill business objectives.
Policy and procedures:
- Uses comprehensive knowledge and skills to work independently while providing guidance and training to others on developing, monitoring, interpreting and understanding policies and procedures, while making sure they match organisational strategies and objectives.
- Works at an advanced level to extract patterns from large amounts of data. Typically works independently and provides guidance.
- Grade 12/ SAQA Accredited Equivalent (Essential)
- 3 year degree in Information Technology / Sciences / Informatics / Applied Mathematics / Statistics / Data Mining (Essential)
- Master’s Degree in Information Technology / Sciences / Informatics / Applied Mathematics / Statistics / Data Mining (Advantageous)
- 5 or more years' experience of leading teams (Essential)