Senior Developer | Sandton
Our client urgently requires an ideal candidate to fill the position of a Senior Developer. The successful individual will need to develop, create, and modify general computer applications software or specialized utility programs. Analyze user needs and develop software solutions. Design software or customize software for client use with the aim of optimizing operational efficiency. May analyze and design within an application area, working individually or coordinating development as part of a team. May supervise computer programmers.
Application Software Development:
- Develop the most complex existing and new applications by analyzing and identifying areas for modification and improvement. Develop new applications to meet customer requirements.
Improvement / Innovation:
- Identify shortcomings in existing business practices, then suggest and implement improvements while developing and delivering projects or a work stream within the organization's change management program. Involves working with guidance from senior colleagues.
Applications Software Maintenance:
- Monitor, identify, and correct more complex software defects to maintain fully functioning applications software.
Testing IT Performance:
- Perform website/applications software tests and respond to call log process to monitor, diagnose, and correct performance issues.
- Implement and provide input on the design of required security measures such as data leaks, message encryption, monitoring performance to notify security experts of any problems.
Personal Capability Building:
- Develop own capabilities by participating in assessment and development planning activities as well as formal and informal training and coaching; gain or maintain external professional accreditation where relevant to improve performance and fulfill personal potential. Maintain an in-depth understanding of technology, external regulation, and industry best practices through ongoing education, attending conferences, and reading specialist media. Continue to learn new languages/technologies.
Organizational Capability Building:
- Provide coaching to team members to develop their skills.
- Identify, within the team, instances of non-compliance with the organization's policies and procedures and/or relevant regulatory codes and codes of conduct, reporting these and escalating issues as appropriate.
Application Software Roadmap:
- Contribute to and maintain road map to facilitate application software development and ensure the development work is prioritized in line with business requirements.
- Provide a quality service to customers while identifying opportunities to secure new business or support retention. Responsibilities may include processing cases, dealing with complex queries and investigating and resolving customer problems.
- Modify existing software to correct errors, allow it to adapt to new hardware, or to improve its performance.
- Develop and direct software system testing and validation procedures.
- Direct software programming and development of documentation.
- Consult with customers or other departments on project status, proposals, or technical issues, such as software system design or maintenance.
- Analyze information to determine, recommend, and plan installation of a new system or modification of an existing system.
- Consult with engineering staff to evaluate interface between hardware and software, develop specifications and performance requirements, or resolve customer problems.
- Prepare reports or correspondence concerning project specifications, activities, or status.
- Store, retrieve, and manipulate data for analysis of system capabilities and requirements.
- Coordinate installation of software system.
- Monitor functioning of equipment to ensure system operates in conformance with specifications.
- Oversee and assign work to programmers, designers, technologists, technicians, or other engineering or scientific personnel.
- Advise customer about or perform maintenance of software system.
- Train users to use new or modified equipment.
- Anticipates and adopts innovations in business-building digital and technology applications. For example, is an early adopter of new technologies, technical skills, and capabilities that improve performance. Regularly experiments with and leverages technologies and tools to substantially improve performance.
- Makes sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems. For example, looks at complex issues from multiple angles; explores issues to uncover underlying issues and root causes; sees the main consequences and implications of different options.
- Creates new and better ways for the organization to be successful. For example, offers creative ideas, finds unique connections between previously unrelated elements. Actively encourages and supports others' creativity; builds upon and strengthens new solutions in a positive and collaborative manner.
- Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments. For example, tracks performance and strives to remain effective, learning from both successes and failures. Readily takes on challenges or difficult tasks and has reputation for delivering on commitments.
Plans and Aligns:
- Plans and prioritizes work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals. For example, strengthens alignment and coordination between own work and others', providing well-sequenced activities and exact time frames. Foresees and resolves many potential bottlenecks and delays.
- Makes good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward. For example, consistently demonstrates strong judgment; may be sought out by others for expertise and guidance. Takes smart, independent action in urgent and non-routine situations, knows when to escalate for others' involvement.
- Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm. For example, takes immediate, decisive, independent action to resolve issues or problems. Persists as needed. Quickly and consistently identifies and pursues beneficial new opportunities.
- Relates openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people. For example, recognizes even subtle social cues and nimbly responds to others' needs and preferences. Helps to defuse difficult interpersonal situations by showing high levels of tact, sensitivity, and consideration. Builds rapport with ease.
- Effectively builds formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization. For example, engages with a wide network, across many functions, disciplines, and business units, to add value to organizational efforts. Leverages a wide network to provide insight and influence outcomes.
- Rebounds from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations. For example, has excellent composure and professionalism, even in very difficult situations; acts as a steadying force or role model for others. Skillfully overcomes obstacles, learns from failures, and uses these lessons to improve subsequent efforts.
- Adapts approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations. For example, takes steps to adapt to changing needs, conditions, priorities, or opportunities. Understands the cues that suggest a change in approach is needed; adopts new behaviors accordingly.
- Uses compelling arguments to gain the support and commitment of others. For example, convinces others through a variety of means and methods of persuasion, including well-reasoned rationale. Recognizes when compromise is necessary and shifts approach to accommodate others.
- Use comprehensive knowledge and skills. Guide and train others to develop software using programming languages.
- Support business processes with comprehensive understanding and effective use of standard office equipment and standard software packages. Provide guidance and training to others.
- Use comprehensive knowledge and skill to guide and train others to ensure that IT applications meet required specifications. Design, execute and report on tests of systems and services.
- Provide technical guidance to analyze data from multiple sources to draw appropriate conclusions and make suitable recommendations.
- Use comprehensive knowledge and skills and provide guidance and training to others on how to develop appropriate plans or perform necessary actions based on recommendations and requirements.
IT Data Management:
- Provide technical guidance to manage information throughout its lifecycle. Design and execute appropriate architectures, policies and practices.
- Monitor, diagnose and fix technological problems independently and provide technical guidance when required.
Planning and Organizing:
- Plan, organize, prioritize and oversee activities to efficiently meet business objectives independently and provide technical guidance when required.
- Achieve full compliance with applicable rules and regulations in management and/or operations independently and provide technical guidance when required.
- Use clear and effective verbal communication skills independently and provide technical guidance when required to express ideas, request actions and formulate plans or policies.
- Perform mathematical operations to report analysis independently and provide technical guidance when required.
Program installation, versioning and configuration:
- Apply concepts of knowledge / skill to provide technical guidance when required
- Use clear and effective writing skills independently and provide technical guidance when required to express ideas, request actions and formulate plans or policies.
- Communicate with other people independently and provide technical guidance when required on how to speak in a clear, concise and compelling manner.
- Grade 12/ SAQA Accredited Equivalent (Essential).
- A recognized software development certification/degree/diploma (Essential).
- 5 or more years experience using relevant programming languages or technologies (Essential).
- Azure experience (Advantageous).