Manager: Life Valuation Actuary | Johannesburg
To provide actuarial support and oversight as well as the management and delivery of business solutions for the Life Valuations function. Accountability will be to internal and external stakeholders of the Insurance group, in line with Client Value Proposition. The role provides exposure to the various facets of a Life Insurance business across the value chain. It will also involve engagement with the HAF and Insurance board subcommittees. The individual will be expected to have technical knowledge of life insurance while mentoring and growing staff.
- Manage and guide the actuarial team responsible for the valuations on three life licences.
- Valuation of liabilities on the various reporting basis and analysis of surplus arising.
- Embedded Value Calculations and preparation of published Embedded Value Statements.
- Preparation of actuarial components of SAM returns.
- Economic Capital calculations.
- Review financial performance relative to various metrics.
- Monitoring of experience across products, comparing relative to market.
- Ensure continued stakeholder education and engagement on key findings via reports and presentations.
- Ensure information is provided correctly to stakeholders by maintaining knowledge sharing with the team.
- Regularly monitor the profile of business taken on and understand the business impact thereof.
- Continuous improvement of models, systems and reporting.
- Assist in driving insight into the business and aiding in commercial decisions around book management.
- Understand and embrace the company vision and demonstrate the values through interaction with team and stakeholders.
- Ensure personal growth and enable effectiveness in performance of roles and responsibilities.
- Participate and support corporate responsibility initiatives for the achievement of business strategy.
- Seek opportunities to improve business processes, models and systems through agile thinking.
- Contribute to a culture conducive to the achievement of transformation goals.
Type of Exposure
- Accuracy of reports and records
- Drafting / Creating reports
- Built and Managed Client and Stakeholder Relationships
- Managing conflict situations
- Communication internal and external stakeholders
- Managing stakeholder expectations
- Interacting with diverse people
- Working in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Working within a team
- Data Analytics
FASSA or AMASSA
Minimum Experience Level
- FASSA with relevant life valuations experience or AMASSA with at least eight years of working experience of which a minimum of three years was in a Life Valuation team.
- Experience with Prophet and/or R
- Experience managing staff.
- Experience with HAF interactions.
- Experience working with Scrum / Agile /Scaled Agile
- Technical / Professional Knowledge
- Business writing skills
- Business principles
- Business terms and definitions
- Governance, Risk and Controls
- Data analysis
- Banking knowledge
- Technical/Professional Knowledge and Skills
- Quality Orientation
- Technology Savvy
- Continuous Improvement
- Monitoring Information