Development Manager – Group IT | Sandton
Our client is on the hunt for an accomplished Development Manager to manage and prioritise IT Systems Development tasks through the effective deployment of resources and efficient workload allocation. Lead a team of system developers to drive innovation and ensuring that Business IT Systems requirements are sufficiently developed and adhered to.
Application Software Roadmap:
- Define and maintain a road map to facilitate application software development and ensure the development work is prioritised in line with business requirements.
- Develop innovative solutions by integrating and analysing complex and diverse information sources.
- Build and effectively maintain relationships with relevant business and IT representatives on an on-going basis.
- Identify and manage stakeholders up to management level, finding out their needs/issues/concerns and reacting to these by leading and coordinating the development of stakeholder engagement plans to support the communication of business information and decisions.
Leadership and Direction:
- Communicate the actions needed to implement the function's strategy and business plan within the team; explain the relationship to the broader organisation's mission, vision and values; motivate people to commit to these and to doing extraordinary things to achieve local business goals.
Strategy Formation and Implementation:
- Develop tactical plans for optimising resources and assets being managed within a significant area or department.
- Manage and report on the performance of a substantial, diverse team; set appropriate performance objectives for direct reports or project / account team members and hold them accountable for achieving these; take appropriate corrective action where necessary to ensure the achievement of team / personal objectives.
Data Collection and Analysis:
- Conduct research using primary data sources and select information needed for the analysis of key themes and trends.
Insights and Reporting:
- Contribute to the design and creation of reporting strategies and templates. Lead execution of complex reports, identifying and interpreting complex patterns and trends, and translating those insights into actionable recommendations.
Organisational Capability Building:
- Evaluate the capabilities of staff within the department to identify gaps and prioritise development activities. Implement the organisation's formal development frameworks within the area of responsibility. Coach and mentor others to support the development of the organisation's talent pool.
- Plan and manage the delivery of projects within an area of professional expertise, using an appropriate project management methodology to give assurance that intended outcomes are achieved.
Application Software Development:
- Develop existing applications and contribute to development of new applications by analysing and identifying areas for modification and improvement. Develop new routine applications to meet customer requirements.
Personal Capability Building:
- Develop own capabilities by participating in assessment and development planning activities as well as formal and informal training and coaching; gain or maintain external professional accreditation where relevant to improve performance and fulfill personal potential. Maintain an in-depth understanding of technology, external regulation, and industry best practices through ongoing education, attending conferences, and reading specialist media.
- Monitor and review performance and behaviors within area of responsibility to identify and resolve non-compliance with the organisation's policies and relevant regulatory codes and codes of conduct.
- Implement and provide input on the design of required security measures such as firewalls or message encryption, monitoring performance to notify security experts of any problems.
- Anticipates and adopts innovations in business-building digital and technology applications. For example, skillfully determines the technologies and innovations that will be most beneficial. Makes learning new technologies a regular part of the team activities, creating both capabilities and enthusiasm.
- Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm. For example, creates a sense of urgency and confidence, and helps others see the benefit of taking initiative. Creates new challenges for others. Quickly seizes new, successful business opportunities.
- Develops and delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences. For example, engages diverse groups by communicating in a way that matches each group's preferences. Listens carefully and probes beneath the surface to gain richer insight on others' views.
- Makes sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems. For example, offers penetrating questions to help others get to the heart of complex situations and find strong solutions. Uses a range of inputs to fully understand and solve problems.
- Builds partnerships and works collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives. For example, enhances and improves collaboration among coworkers and with external partners. Solicits ideas from diverse colleagues, leaves space in conversation for them; gives credit well and generously.
- Makes good and timely decisions that keep the organisation moving forward. For example, ensures that people internalise policies and standards and accept full responsibility for their decisions. Confidently makes choices in the best interests of the organisation, deals constructively with resistance.
- Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments. For example, helps team hold each other accountable for goals, adherence to policies and procedures. Tracks team metrics and milestones, redirecting effort, as necessary, for continued progress.
- Provides direction, delegating, and removing obstacles to get work done. For example, delegates tasks, providing generally clear expectations to staff. Coordinates and integrates the team's work, reducing duplication. Measures team progress using the right indicators; recognises when problems or shortfalls occur.
- Rebounds from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations. For example, deals effectively with crises and volatile situations. Puts people's failures in perspective and helps them move forward. Maintains calm in adversity; stays objective. Uses hardships and difficult experiences as an opportunity for personal and team growth.
Plans and Aligns:
- Plans and prioritises work to meet commitments aligned with organisational goals. For example, stays focused on plans and improvises in response to changes, including risks and contingencies. Aligns own team's work with other workgroups'. Looks ahead to determine and obtain needed resources to complete plans.
- Uses comprehensive knowledge and skills to work independently while providing guidance and training to others on analysing data from multiple sources to draw appropriate conclusions and make suitable recommendations.
- Problem Solving, Innovative ways to find solutions.
- Uses comprehensive knowledge and skills to work independently while providing guidance and training to others on developing appropriate plans or performing necessary actions based on recommendations and requirements.
Planning and Organising:
- Uses comprehensive knowledge and skills to work independently while providing guidance and training to others on planning, organising, prioritising and overseeing activities to efficiently meet business objectives.
Data Collection and Analysis:
- Works independently and provides guidance and training to others on analysing data trends for use in reports to help guide decision making.
- Provide technical guidance when required to develop software using relevant programming languages.
- Understanding of Software Development Life Cycle procedure.
Verbal and Written Communication:
- Uses clear and effective verbal communications skills without supervision and provides technical guidance when required on expressing ideas, requesting actions and formulating plans or policies.
Costing and Budgeting:
- Works without supervision and provides technical guidance when required on costing, budgeting and finance tasks.
- Supports business processes without supervision by understanding and effectively using standard office equipment and standard software packages, while providing technical guidance as needed.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Communicates with other people without requiring supervision and provides technical guidance when required on speaking in a clear, concise and compelling Manner.
- Works with full competence to use presentation software to create digital presentations. Typically works without supervision and may provide technical guidance.
IT Data Management:
- Provide technical guidance when required to manage information throughout its lifecycle by designing and executing appropriate architectures, policies and practices.
Policy and procedures:
- Provide technical guidance when required to monitor, interpret and understand policies and procedures, while making sure they match organisational objectives.
- Works without supervision while providing technical guidance when required on managing projects and/or programs within desired cost, time and quality parameters.
- Works without supervision and provides technical guidance when required on ensuring that IT applications meet required specifications by designing, executing and reporting on tests of systems and services.
- Grade 12 / SAQA Accredited (Essential).
- Recognised IT degree / diploma (Advantageous).
- 6 or more years adequate System Development experience using the relevant programming, language or technologies (Essential).
- Previous experience in Financial Insurance industry (Advantageous).
- 3 - 6 years experience of planning and managing resources to deliver predetermined objectives as specified by more senior managers (Essential).