Business Intelligence Developer | Sandton
This leading financial services provider is looking for a Business Intelligence Developer to join their company. The successful candidate would have to develop analytical models and Data Visualisations to provide comprehensive information support to the business for informed decision making.
- Create analytical models by translating business requirements to a framework that suits business analysis. Build data from company systems into an analytical model that provides trends and patterns relating to any short-term insurance metrics.
- Demonstrate functionality of built BI models to target audience as per business request.
- Provide operational support services and ensure server availability during operational hours. Monitor user-acceptance testing of Data Visualisation models. Administration of business intelligence management console, including task schedule and on-going monitoring and maintenance of BI solution.
Business Requirements Identification:
- Collect business requirements using a variety of methods to provide suitable solutions based on the business need, developed within the architecture framework.
Data Collection and Analysis:
- Conduct research using primary data sources and select information needed for the analysis of key themes and trends.
Insights and Reporting:
- Prepare and coordinate the completion of various data and analytics reports by identifying insight from information contained within the general BI models and present these insights to stakeholders in the business.
- Build relationship's across the business and find out their needs/issues/concern and reacting to these by arranging meetings and events and drafting supporting materials to promote understanding and commitment. Ensure that business objectives and personal delivery aligns to and meets the service principles.
Improvement / Innovation:
- Manage focus and priorities to keep working on the most commercially beneficial tasks for the organisation. Leverage all available information from our partners, the industry, and internally to ensure we are constantly reviewing our departmental processes, systems and protocols with a view to improve efficiencies. Analyse current performance inhibitors and finding solutions to ensure business continuity. Develop Ideas, provide an innovative and ever evolving set of systems and processes.
Personal Capability Building:
- Develop own capabilities by participating in assessment and development planning activities as well as formal and informal training and coaching; gain or maintain external professional accreditation where relevant to improve performance and fulfill personal potential. Set own goals and working towards them and keep up to date with trends within business intelligence by participating in forums, webinars and knowledge sharing platforms and reading specialist media.
- Manage user expectations and deliverables within work stream. Prioritise own workflow and ensure work is completed to the required standards of productivity, quality and timeliness.
- Provide information and comments on suitability during approval process for database specifications to ensure all agreed standards and protocols are followed and data integrity is preserved.
- Use data management systems to deliver prescribed outcomes with guidance from senior colleagues. This includes being responsible for operating key elements of the system.
Organisational Capability Building:
- Provide instruction and informal advice to less experienced colleagues within the team to develop their skills.
- Makes sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems. For example, looks at complex issues from multiple angles; explores issues to uncover underlying issues and root causes; sees the main consequences and implications of different options.
- Develops and delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences. For example, listens attentively and takes an interest. Keeps others well informed; conveys information clearly, concisely, and professionally when speaking or writing.
- Anticipates and adopts innovations in business-building digital and technology applications. For example, investigates technologies to learn some cutting-edge best practices. Uses digital/social media to benefit the team and add value to the work being done; understands how to avoid misuse of these tools.
- Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments. For example, accepts responsibility for own work, both successes and failures. Handles fair share and does not make excuses for problems. Usually meets commitments to others.
- Learns through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder. For example, experiments to find the best possible solution and gains insight from test cases. Makes use of new concepts and principles when addressing problems. Learns from mistakes to avoid repeating them.
- Relates openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people. For example, takes time to build rapport in meetings; speaks about common interests and priorities; shows tact and sensitivity in difficult interpersonal situations. Maintains productive relationships with a wide variety of people and from a range of backgrounds.
Plans and Aligns:
- Plans and prioritises work to meet commitments aligned with organisational goals. For example, outlines clear plans that put actions in a logical sequence; conveys some time frames. Aligns own work with relevant workgroups. Takes some steps to reduce bottlenecks and speed up the work.
- Builds partnerships and works collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives. For example, readily involves others to accomplish goals; stays in touch and shares information; discourages "us versus them" thinking; shows appreciation for others' ideas and input.
- Adapts approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations. For example, takes steps to adapt to changing needs, conditions, priorities, or opportunities. Understands the cues that suggest a change in approach is needed; adopts new behaviors accordingly.
- Overcomes obstacles without becoming discouraged; draws lessons from failures. Recovers from setbacks and adversity.
- Uses compelling arguments to gain the support and commitment of others. For example, convinces others through a variety of means and methods of persuasion, including well-reasoned rationale. Recognises when compromise is necessary and shifts approach to accommodate others.
Computer and Software skills:
- Support business processes by understanding and effectively using standard office equipment and standard software packages, while providing technical guidance as needed.
- Advanced MS Office Skills., Different database environments e.g. DB2, SQL, Informix., Strong transact SQL., Advanced Visual Basic for Applications (VBA)., Extraction, Transaction and Loading (ETL) principles., Qlikview and QlikSense.,Nprinting
- Provide technical guidance when required to acquire, organise, protect and process data to fulfill business objectives.
- Data warehousing., Geo-Analytics.
Business Requirements Analysis:
- Provide technical guidance when required to analyse the business requirements that solutions must meet.
Data Collection and analysis:
- Provide technical guidance when required to analyse data trends for use in reports to help guide decision making.
- Statistical Analysis., Data modelling.
Review and Reporting:
- Provide technical guidance when required to review and create relevant, lucid and effective reports.
Verbal and Written Communication:
- Use clear and effective verbal communication skills and provides technical guidance when required to express ideas, request actions and formulate plans or policies. Above average ability to present and communicate complex topics in easy to understand terms.
- Communicate with other people and provide technical guidance when required to speak in a clear, concise and compelling manner.
- Achieve full compliance with applicable rules and regulations in management and/or operations. Information and Data Regulations.
Planning and Organising:
- Plan, organise, prioritise and oversee activities to efficiently meet business objectives.
- Develop appropriate plans or perform necessary actions based on recommendations and requirements.
- Grade 12/ SAQA Accredited Equivalent (Essential).
- A relevant 3 year degree / diploma relating to Business Intelligence / Data Warehousing / Database Administration (Advantageous).
- Maths and Science at Grade 12 level (Advantageous); Qlik certifications (Advantageous).
- 3 or more years development experience within a business intelligence environment (Essential).
- Qlik development experience (Advantageous).
- Consulting experience (Advantageous).
- Experience and knowledge of the financial insurance industry (Advantageous).